Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lies

Everybody has bad days. It's a natural part of life. But for women, one of the most crushing things is feeling like no one loves them.

So we start playing the comparison game to feel better. Don't give me that innocent look. I know you've done it. We all have. Myself included.

It generally looks like this:

"Well, I'm not as whiny as she is" or "She doesn't have a boyfriend and I do, so I'm better than her" or "At least I have sense of style".

Its a vicious cycle that leaves you worn out and not feeling better. Or if it does make you feel better, it's only temporary.

So how do we fix these terrible thoughts; lies from Satan?

Lies such as:
- I'm not important
- people like so and so better than they like me
- if i died no one would care
- No one could ever love me, I'm to ________ (fill in your fault)
- I push everyone close to me away
- I have no friends
- I'm ______ (age) and am still not married. It's probably because I'm a horrible person.
- I'm not beautiful

I could go on for days, but I'm sensing you get the idea.

The only way to get rid of a lie is replace it with truth. If you don't feel important, ask God what He thinks of you. Look in His word. Find a verse that talks specifically about what you struggle with and memorize. When that pesky little lie sneaks up on you, smack it in the face with truth.

Verses:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16

"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved." Eph 2:4-5

"Let the king be enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord." - Psalm 45:11

There are so many more verses I could show y'all. Search God's word, you'll find all you need.

Another thing I find helpful when destructive thoughts come around is writing a list. I'm kinda a freak about making lists. I don't feel like anything is official until its written down. One day, I was feeling down because I didn't think I was pretty. I know what God thinks about me and decided I didn't want to feel mopey any more. So I made a list of 20 physical things that I LIKE about myself. I read it over and over until I started to believe it. This may sound conceited, but knowing who you are in Christ and believing it is not. He made you beautiful, don't be afraid of that.

I also made a list of 20 things that God has blessed me with in my life. I included my family, friends and This took me less than 5 mins. When you feel alone or unloved, whip out your bible verses and lists.

Huge love and lists,

Maria

No comments:

Post a Comment